As we decorated our tree and headed into the chilling air for the town parade and Christmas in the park festivities, I silently hoped that this year would be less hectic and that I would be able to pass on a much more meaningful Christmas to my kids.
Advent began today and the message was one that was all too familiar. How does the Christmas season go by so quickly that we practically end up missing it? I rejoiced a little when I learned that there was no Christmas drama this year. No practices, no rehearsals, no mumbling and reciting of lines being learned. Yet somehow I have still managed to feel like Christmas is slipping through my fingers. In hopes of making Christmas seem longer I even begged to light our tree one week earlier.
As I prepare lunch I chuckle to myself as I hear my mother in laws words of last night. "Does no one care anymore? Why have I not gotten any Christmas wish lists yet?" While I butter my toast I am startled at my thought of not even really knowing what I want for Christmas. Even now I wonder why I feel this way. I LOVE Christmas. I love the snow and the singing and the lights and of course the goodies. :) The best part of all though is making little gifts for our close friends, teachers and others who work so hard during the year without the proper recognition. Placing those special gifts on desks, in offices and in mailboxes, standing and observing as the surprised glow becomes so clear in their eyes and expressions. Even I anticipate coming into my office to find a small token of appreciation and love wrapped with special care. It is the feeling of love that I anticipate.
So why do we have to stress over presents and limits and who has who? Why do we have to make sure that each child gets their main gift that they will only play with for one or two weeks and then toss it into the closet to forget about? The biggest question is how do I get everyone to think like me? I had a super idea of buying for the less fortunate on behalf of others but I was mocked and the idea has not gone over smoothly. Why is it so hard to adjust to this simple way of life in a world that needs so bad to be simplified?
As I sit now in a quiet office with no kids in the house, the Christmas tree un lit in the living room and the small chill creaping throughout the house I plead that this year will be less hectic and that I will be able to pass on a much more meaningful Christmas to my kids.
1 comment:
People fear simplicity. If the Christmas season isn't complex, people aren't comfortable. I would say GO FOR IT and buy for the less fortunate on behalf of others. A revolution must begin with one person who's bold enough.
As Mahatma Karamchad Gandhi said:
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
PS: My word verification is "slachlo". Sounds like some kind of Mexican disease.
Post a Comment