Jan 23, 2011

Five Love Languages

Have you heard about the five love languages? In case you haven't, they will follow.

It seems like the five love languages subject is popping up everywhere for us these days. When Signing up for classes in Breakforth two of the classes were the five love languages for kids and the five love languages for teens. Blaine and I thought it would be cool to sign up for one and learn the love language that our kids speak.

But what about us? Well, years and years ago we took the quiz ourselves. I can't even remember what the results were, all I remember was getting a kick out of the fact that quality time was at the bottom of both our lists. :) February is the month for love and apparently everyone is on the same page. In February our church is having a Love Language date night for couples. It will be a fun evening with dinner (I think) and a fun way of learning the language of Love that our spouse speaks. I thought it would be fun if I took a guess at which love language everyone speaks in our little family and see how intuitive I am. So, here goes.

Blaine - Physical touch. He is always wanting a hug, wanting to cuddle, wanting me to tickle his back.

Keegan - A strong lead for Gift receiving and physical touch. Keegan loves to surprise everyone with gifts and usually what they want they tend to give. Of course physical touch is either an addiction trickled down through the generations or something that he actually likes himself.

Ginny - This is a tough one she loves to go on dates one on one but at the same time she like to encourage and and gives lots of hugs. Seeing as I need to pick one, I think her strongest would be words of affirmation.

Malakai - Another difficult one. I think he is still a little young to really see his love language but it I would say acts of service or quality time. That little man is always offering to help. Just yesterday when we were really, really stuck he said ... "Mommy, I can push us out."

Myself - I think my language would be words of affirmation and receiving gifts. I love Christmas when there are all kinds of surprises in the mail boxes and on my desk. I also really feel a lot better about how things are going when people encourage me.

So there you have it. Now I guess I just wait and see how off or how close I really am.

If you are interested in coming to our LOVE LANGUAGE date night just let me know and I will get you more details. Everyone is invited and tickets are $10.00/couple.

The Five Languages of Love
Words of Affirmation

Actions don’t always speak louder than words. If this is your love language, unsolicited compliments mean the world to you. Hearing the words, “I love you,” are important—hearing the reasons behind that love sends your spirits skyward. Insults can leave you shattered and are not easily forgotten.

Quality Time

In the vernacular of Quality Time, nothing says, “I love you,” like full, undivided attention. Being there for this type of person is critical, but really being there—with the TV off, fork and knife down, and all chores and tasks on standby—makes your significant other feel truly special and loved. Distractions, postponed dates, or the failure to listen can be especially hurtful.

Receiving Gifts

Don’t mistake this love language for materialism; the receiver of gifts thrives on the love, thoughtfulness, and effort behind the gift. If you speak this language, the perfect gift or gesture shows that you are known, you are cared for, and you are prized above whatever was sacrificed to bring the gift to you. A missed birthday, anniversary, or a hasty, thoughtless gift would be disastrous—so would the absence of everyday gestures.

Acts of Service

Can vacuuming the floors really be an expression of love? Absolutely! Anything you do to ease the burden of responsibilities weighing on an “Acts of Service” person will speak volumes. The words he or she most want to hear: “Let me do that for you.” Laziness, broken commitments, and making more work for them tell speakers of this language their feelings don’t matter.

And finally,

Physical Touch

This language isn’t all about the bedroom. A person whose primary language is Physical Touch is, not surprisingly, very touchy. Hugs, pats on the back, holding hands, and thoughtful touches on the arm, shoulder, or face—they can all be ways to show excitement, concern, care, and love. Physical presence and accessibility are crucial, while neglect or abuse can be unforgivable and destructive.

No comments: