Feb 28, 2011

My hugs have returned

I am not a Physical Touch kind of gal. As a child I loved giving hugs. I was a hugger in every way. I don't know how it disappeared or if it will ever return but one thing I have relished in was the hugs from my children. When Malakai was a wee one he loved to give hugs. He was always wrapping his chubby little hands around my neck and squeezing. Sometime in Malakai's younger years the hugs went away. Malakai hit a stressful time in his life where he was angry, frustrated, and sad. His favorite line was "you broke my heart." He wore his teeth down to nothing from grinding and even now has little to no teeth in the front. Not because he lost them like most kids his age but because he clamps down on them and works away at them daily. While there is nothing I can do about the grinding, I did take him to a Homeopath and found that his Copper level was extremely low. Fast forward a few months and it brings us to last night.

Blaine and I usually never fight. We don't usually bicker in front of others, but neither are we perfect. Last night we had a big argument and unfortunately it was in front of the kids. Right in between it all, Malakai jumps on my bed comes over to me, wraps his chubby little arms around my neck and gives me the softest, reassuring hug and then he kisses me.

That one hug brought me back to a time when snuggling came so natural to him, that one hug brought my Malakai back to me. So, while arguing was not the right way about it, and while it was not something we wanted to give our kids front row seats too. It made me realize that life is too short to bicker over stupid things and when you think no one is watching, someone always is.

No comments: