Oct 12, 2011

Crazy!!

I went and did something CRAZY!! I joined the volunteer Fire Fighters with Blaine. My interview was last week, I found out I made it yesterday and my first day of training is tomorrow. YIKES!! :)

Usually with something like this I am bursting at the seams telling everyone. Yet for some reason I have only told people at work and a few family members. Why am I so secretive? I think it stems from the fact that I am usually very concerned about what others think and I don't like to let anyone down. And I know, judging from reactions that I have gotten so far that some are not going to like this. Had I said that Samaritans purse is sending me to Japan tomorrow to help with a disaster, friends and family would be all over it. Sure they would be scared and leery but they would be offering encouragement, prayers and help.
Because I am doing something so risky by choice right here in our community I am afraid that I won't get the same response. Why do they not like the idea? Most of it stems from the fact that it is a "man's job", add to that the fact that we have three kids, and that I am stealing the thunder from Blaine.

A good friend of mine asked me a few questions, listend to my answers and put it into a great perspective for me.

While Blaine and I are part of the same team and are going alongside each other, doing something crazy together we are still unique and different.

My reasons for doing something like this is so that I can be there for someone in my community when they need someone the most. I want to help. Not all calls that come through are fire calls. In fact, most are not. There are EMS assistance, Motor Vehicle Accidents, River Rescues and so much more. I want to become involved. I want to build relationships. I want them to see something different in me and question what it is. We are all encouraged to become involved within our community, helping others and putting ourselves last. I want our kids to know that us "Anderson's" are always about helping others. It's when we take risks and get involved on a daring level that God stretches us and uses us in a different way.

Blaine obviously joined to help and be a part of the community as well but most of all he loves the adrenaline kick. :)

Blaine and I have always been a team and I think that is what makes our marriage so unique and strong. It is not a matter of copying each other or being jealous of each other. It is a matter of sharing the same passions and just loving the dynamics of working together.

As far as the kids go. Once a month Blaine is on call for one week, while I will be on call another week. Sometimes you can go your entire shift without getting one call. The training which is once a week will kill me I am sure. I am looking forward to the killing part as much as I am dreading it though. No better way to get into shape than to throw yourself into something such as this. So, unless there is a forest fire or a huge structure fire (basically an "all call" ) the kids will always be with one of us.

Am I scared? Heck yah!! Am I excited? Of course! Am I nuts? Well, I guess that is for you to decide.

No comments: