
This year we decided that instead of searching the internet for a Christmas drama, we would write one instead.
It has made a huge difference in my perspective. I have even seen the difference in the way that I react to certain things and the way that my co directors react to those same things.
This being the first play that I have fully directed I am overwhelmed with thoughts about set design, cast, and yes even the script itself. I have went from loving the play to hating it to loving it again all because of comments that people have made. Get this! Two weeks to the big production and one of our semi main characters just up and quites on us because she doesn't like the script and doesn't think it is "Christmasy" enough. We even have Santa! How do you not get Christmasy out of that?
Unfortunately this is only the beginning. Because we have Santa I am sure that the comments will be flying and I am talking flying after the drama. It has caused such an uproar already. To be honest though, this drama is the closest you can get to reality.
Lets just say that it will be interesting at that. The following years we have had huge props, things like airplanes and even a smart car. This year I tried to talk them into an escalator but it didn't go over well with the set builders. We did end up finding the best prop ever though, a pair of red shiny Christmas shoes. Now maybe I could put them on click my heels and chant "there is no place like home". "There is no place like home."
Then my sweet Malakai brings me back to the present as he is yelling and insisting that he is finished his bath and that he wants to flush the bath tub.
No comments:
Post a Comment