Jul 13, 2009

The sounds of summer


For once in my life I have begun to set aside my days off for just me and the kids and I am really enjoying it. Since all of us were up at 5 this morning to get Blaine into the city for a car repair, I needed a nap more than anyone. There is something so rewarding when the house is quite and you wake up with one little one still sound asleep snuggled up beside you.

I carefully pried myself away and sat at the computer with the deck door open and the summer breeze mixed with the sunshine pouring in. Moments like these are rare in our house. Usually it is filled with loud boyish laughter and "mommy did you knows." Keegan just turned 10 a month ago and I really see his boyishness leaving and his "older mature self" coming out. He like to voice his opinion now that things like the sea lion show and shopping are not on his to do list. Before he would tell me all about a cartoon he saw or something cool he did on his game. Now his conversations are filled with extreme detail about real life things he has seen or heard. I wasn't surprised today when he asked how old he had to be when he could get a cell phone. Interesting enough he still trudged through the mall, holding my hand, just as happy to see the sea lion show as the rest.

The garbage truck is coming by now and I can faintly hear the laughter of children in the wind. I am dreading the moment Malakai wakes up. He is not a happy waker. It was a true delight today to see the world in his eyes. He loved going for breakfast with Aunty and it amazes me how much he is "in love" with food. He outwardly enjoyed watching the sea lion show and was happy to lounge on the big leather stool and make faces at himself in the mirror while I tried on clothes. Ginny on the other hand was her usual chatty self and since she "always" shares a birthday party with grandpa she wants to ask if maybe grandpa wouldn't mind going to galaxy land on all the rides this time. "I think he might just like that" she says.

For a moment I wish that Blaine were there by my side to soak up the innocence but then selfishly I realized, it wouldn't be the same then. It wouldn't be just me and the kids enjoying our summer together. I can't believe that July is already half over. There are moments where I miss spending every day hanging in the sun with the kids but now I look forward to the Mondays ahead and I cherish the time with the kids more than I would have before. I'm going to miss them when they are in school.

No comments: