Mar 13, 2010

Grace Based Parenting

Our small group is doing a study called "Grace Based Parenting." What exactly that is, we are unsure as of yet but hopefully we will find out. :) Last weeks challenge was to put into practice one thing that we learned in the last lesson.

I learned that I was a high controlling parent basing everything on Fear. Not good. So, I made a deal with my group that for this week I was going to work on being less controlling.

Yesterday the kids had a bad day with my parents. My mom called me at work and told me the kids were fighting and Keegan was being horrible. I didn't freak out! I dealt with it calmly and to my surprise everyone was fine by the time work was over and they were all staying another night.

So many times today I could have lost my cool but instead I let them be kids. Malakai and Ginny proceeded to rush toys to me while we were shopping, telling me which ones they wanted for their birthday. I guess they figured it was better than asking for them (I have to agree). Later I caught them running in the trailer, jumping on the beds when they should have been outside playing. I explained that they can't be in the trailer when I am not there, asked them nicely to get out and closed the door. Supper was very late, Daddy was not home all day, yet we all managed to PEACEFULLY get along. No one got mad at all today. Malakai cried once when Ginny ran off on him with her friend but other than that we all got along.

O.k fine, I confess I was only down to two kids since one was at Grandma and Grandpas. I however took it as a great opportunity for me to try out my new way of thinking.

Day one and two done with greatness.

No comments: