Blaine and I joined the Fire Fighters baseball team and I will let you in on a little secret... we have never played on a team before, in fact we haven't really played ball at all. I don't think we are losing because of us though. Sure we make a lot of mistakes but it seems that there are others who make mistakes as well. So far our team has played 3 games and lost ... all 3 games. :( It is something that will take some practise and I am sure by the end of August I will finally know what I am doing and not fear the ball.
Like any sport, you learn something about yourself a little each time you play. Sometimes it is good things but more often than not it is the not so good things that make you either second guess yourself, hate yourself, or the exact opposite, feel a little proud of yourself. Take tonight for instance.
Tonight we played an obnoxious, rude, arrogant team called the "Wieners". Need I say more? I guess it didn't help that Blaine texted me earlier in the day and informed me that they too haven't won a game yet. Anyways the pitcher had this smile that I just wanted to smack off of his face and he would say stupid things to psych you out. Not to mention that the whole team was drinking and that they had their own personal set of rules. See, as you can tell this is the part that I hated about myself. I was so caught up in the fact that I didn't like them that I found myself voicing my opinions and being rude myself. They got under my skin so much so that I ended up second guessing myself and making stupid choices. Then, somewhere between the strike out and the out, out I took a step back and noticed others playing. They were playing just as bad as me. Some were cheering others on and some were throwing the bats and storming off to pout. It was then and there that I needed to make a choice and change my attitude. I needed to play ball and play it nicely. :) So, it's the last inning, the bases are loaded, I am on third and the batter cracks the ball. I leave third base and make a bee line right for home. All that is going through my head is ... DON"T TOUCH THE HOME PLATE!!! There right in my path the back catcher crouches down and catches the ball, but it is too late. I am not stopping and I bulldozed right through her knocking her flat on her side with me pinning her down.
That is when the proud feeling kicked in. :) I didn't intend to do that in the least bit but I have to admit ... it was a little fun!!
No comments:
Post a Comment