Facebook, it's full of ...
Boldness, low self esteem, hurtfulness, humour, sorrow, happiness, troubles, danger and so much more.
The innocent are hurt, the guilty are blamed, the needy are ignored.
Status' of every waking moment, he said - she said, how come you said that? Please delete that. I wasn't invited, why is she your friend and I am not? LOL's, ROFL's and some not worth repeating.
A moment where your business becomes everyone's business. A moment of sorrow realizing someone passed away and you were not informed. A moment of joy as you hear about a new birth.
Feelings of happiness, anxiousness, sadness, anger, jealousy, love, lust and hate.
I am not surprised of how many times someone has logged out of facebook with tears streaming down their face, and anger resonating in their soul. It is nothing new when relationships are sparked, causing real life relationships to be ruined.
Would you be my "friend" if I wasn't on facebook?
Would you still tell me that I made you mad or hurt you?
Would you still make fun of me or insult me?
Would you call me to wish me a happy birthday?
Would you write me a letter asking me how me and my family were doing?
Would you stop over for a tea?
Would you send me pictures of your family and your loved ones?
Or would you forget that I was once your friend and find another 368 to fill my spot?
1 comment:
BINGO. The thing I've found on Facebook is that it's "personal" instead of just a social media tool. People tend to think that if you're not their friend on Facebook, you're not their friend at all. They think that if you wrote a status, that it's about them.
It tends to create a space for inflated egos, paranoia, fear, and the worst of all... it tends to make monsters out of all of us.
The only thing I've found helpful about "social media" is to know my youth. Yet I've started to ask myself... do I really know them? I've had a few people comment about my decision to delete Facebook with the explanation that I'm leaving behind an amazing tool. I strongly disagree.
What I have left behind is drama, pain, the inner beast inside of me having an outlet, the ungodly behaviours that come when there is no fear of repercussions, and the facade we know as the "Facebook page".
I would argue that Facebook does not show the real us. It shows a mask--someone or something that is completely untrue, no matter how much truth we try to show. Why is that? Because no matter how you write it, people infer vocal flex, body language, and verbal cues, when nothing was intended.
We're called to be above reproach. I assure you, that Facebook will never permit that.
For me, it's goodbye to this tool of the devil. I only pray that many others follow my lead and at least cut back to using it as nothing more than an e-mail service.
Post a Comment