I know, Most of my posts these days relate to our Malakai. Right now with the age he is at and the personality he has he just seems to be so entertaining. In fact we were just at a house party a few weeks ago when a friend of ours siad "so, tell me something that Malakai has said lately ... I just love that kids stories."
Stories, it's a good place to start...
Keegan loved his little board books and he loved to read to Ginny when she was born, a time when nothing out of his mouth really made sense. As he got older reading became a challenge. We have tried all kinds of books, reading to him, trying to get him to read to us. Reading is just not his thing. Ginny on the other hand loves to read. She has books upon books that she has already read and requests more on a weekly basis. The thing about Ginny is that she like to read by herself. Malakai is different, he loves to be read to. It doesn't matter who reads to him but please somebody read to him because he does not like to read the book himself. He is often found following someone with a book begging to be read to. Last weeks book, Green Eggs and Ham is by the infamous author Dr. Suess and is an old time favorite. We start, me reading one page and Malakai reading the next and so forth. I think I like it the most because Malakai is our little "Ham" always cracking a joke making us laugh.
Last night as I tucked him in he wrapped his little arms around me, holding me next to him on his bed. "Read me a story" he pleads. "Awe Malakai, not tonight, mommy is busy and needs to get stuff done." His disappointed little face looks into mine and instantly gets all serious. "Mommy, can you ask my teacher when we're going to Peru?" "Peru?" I asked. The only assumption that I can come up with is that they just learned about India in school so now it must be Peru. Malakai gets a smile on his face as he excitedly nods his head. "Wow, how are you going to get there? I ask. Are you going to fly?" Again he is so serious. "I don't know" he says, "my teacher never said."
Here is the thing about Malakai. Is he really concerned or is he just pretending to be. Does he really think he is going to Peru or is he just playing along. He is so great at what he does that even sometimes I don't know.
"Oh Malakai, how long are you going for? I am going to miss you so much." I chuckle as he takes his hand and plays with the fingers of my own. "I am going to miss you too mom." "Will you call me?" I ask. "I don't know" he says, "maybe, if they have a phone there." He replies. "Hmmm well maybe you can email me then." I suggest. "Maybe", He responds.
Then, before I know it, he hugs me again and says "I love you!"
No laughing, no "just kidding mom." Just a sweet meaning full "I love you!" Just as if he were really headed to Peru.
Even tonight around the dinner table he had the kids questioning us as to whether Malakai was really going to Peru or not.
I admit, he holds a special piece of my heart right in the palm of his hands. How could he not though?
No comments:
Post a Comment