I have lived in this area all my life. Of course in the day to day extremities of my life I have taken different routes to get me back and forth to the places I need to be. As I travelled one particular route this morning I was flooded with so many memories. This specific route is beautiful. It is the main route I take that connects me to the warm familiarity of "family" that I was born into and my own family that God has blessed me with.
As familiar as my road has become it changes on a day to day basis. The curves, the straights, the gully, it all remains the same but the surroundings change so often. Sometimes the crops are so golden that as the sun shines down you can't help but let your eye wonder across the vastness of it all. The sunsets and rises are always splashed with different colors. In the summer the road is so smooth that I am often tempted to soar a little faster than I should with the feeling of freedom under my foot. In the winter it is the exact opposite. Perhaps it is the dusting of snow that covers the fields, the ice layering the pavement or the standing deer, ready to run that slows us down.
This road has brought forth so many conversations. Some child's laughter, another's stories, or even ones tears. It has even been the dumping ground of an upset stomach or even a child in the throes of rage. This same road has even been marked with the harsh scars of fire,ironically the first fire that Blaine fought.
This morning my road was quite bare with the fields full of snow. The sunrise had taken its full position in the sky right in front of me. As I drove down through the gully I saw the familiar marked trees, bare and ready for the pending weather. As I turned a corner I saw three deer standing across the road, watching to see if I was headed their way. I couldn't help but think how this road resembles the road in life that I am travelling. Sometimes things are going great and we are soaring through life with no worries or fears. There are times when we feel hesitant about a change that we need to endure. Sometimes we stumble upon many winter storms were we feel like the world is out of control and we have nowhere to go. All the while we look ahead to the summer when the trees will continue to heal themselves or when God takes us in his arms and reminds us to lean on him and look full in his wonderful face.
1 comment:
It's that change and learning to embrace it that brings so much joy and fullness.
Honestly, I think it's part of that whole "let go and let God" thing that people say. Sit back and watch the world shift and change, and continue to change with it. Forward motion is something to struggle with, but also something to embrace. I love it.
Post a Comment