Sep 14, 2013

Goodbye

The house is empty.  All that resembled an elderly couple living there are gone.   Nothing shows that they raised a family of five and enlarged their family by 15 grand and great grandchildren.  

As I stood in the archway between the kitchen and the porch I could see my mom standing by the counter, preparing breakfast, so excited that we had stopped by.  I could see my dad sitting at the head of the table asking what was taking his breakfast so long.  "Would you like some tea?"  Mom would ask.  "I made your favourite.  If you stay and visit for awhile I could make some potato pancakes for you.  I even have some cinnamon buns in the fridge that I could put in the oven for Blaine."  She loved feeding her family.  When I turned to walk out the door I caught a glimpse of the living room where they always sat.  The oak trim and shelving, a gift of Dad's handy work.  I saw my dad sitting in his chair watching something on t.v while my mom relaxed in her chair taking a much needed nap.  She would open her eyes and smile.  "I am so glad you came to visit."  "Lets find a really good movie on t.v."  She loved to watch movies with us and the kids.  
I take one last look around, whisper "goodbye" and walk out the door closeing it behind me.  As I turn the lock it feels as if I am safely locking all my memories inside.  
I feel like I am leaving a piece of my mom there.  
The next time someone opens this door it will be their home.  A home with no memories.  A story filled with blank pages, ready to come to life. 


As I walk down the steps and make my way to the truck I take one last glance up to where my attic bedroom was supposed to be.  I remember sitting up on that balcony dreaming with my friend of where we would put my bedroom furniture and how we would spend our time up there.  We would sit up there for hours, talking about boys and telling stories.  It didn't matter that we had to climb a rickety old metal ladder to get up to that attic.  It didn't matter that their was nothing but frame work with insulation everywhere.  To us it was a dream!  


This place is full of memories.  The best places to hide for kick the can.  Playing hide and seek with the neighbours grand kids.  The tree fort my brother had made, bon fires with the family.  Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and so much more.  

I stood at the end of the driveway one last time.  
36 years ago I was brought home to this acreage.  It was my very first home.  I learned to walk, talk, and ride my bike without training wheels here.  I brought my husband here and later my kids.  This was a home to all of us.  It served us well, and in 2 days it will begin to serve another family well.  The three of them will turn that key, open that door and begin another chapter in their lives.  Their little baby will take her first steps, say her first words, perhaps welcome new siblings and also learn to ride her bike here.  I feel that my mom wouldn't have wanted it any other way.  

I choked back tears as we backed out of the driveway one last time.  
"Don't forget to honk."  "It's tradition." 
It's time for another season in our life to begin. 

   
    

No comments: