May 17, 2009

My Mom

My mom bless her soul, will be 70 this December. There are days where she is right with it and she really seems younger than she is. Then there are days like today where you just want to shake your head and laugh. She hates it when you laugh. She feels so bad that she almost gets angry with you and says .."oh sure, just make fun of your mother who is losing it." In reality, I am not making fun of her, just finding humor in the small things she does. Take today for instance, after church we went out for lunch and she had ordered steak. After eating half of her steak she proceeds to wrap the other half in napkins to place in her purse. "Mom," I said, "they have take home bags you know." "I know!" She says. "I just can't be bothered." All right, I let it slide and think don't argue with the woman. If she wants a steak in her purse than a steak she will carry.

Later in the evening we are back at their house and my parents phones have had no dial tone all day. Really, how many phones do you need in one house? They have 3 levels and there are 3 phones downstairs, two on the middle floor, and one in the attic that is not even open to the rest of the house. I guess I should be happy with this since I hate it when I can't get a hold of them. Anyways, after trying all the phones I tell my mom to call her neighbor on her cell phone to see if their phone is working. As she is looking through her purse for her cell phone she finds her camera and says "oh, that's not it." Then she opens the fridge and starts rummaging around inside of it. "mom, what are you doing in the fridge?" I ask. She looks at me with a "don't go there" smirk and says "putting my steak away." I stifle a huge laugh and proceed to watch as she finds her phone. When she finally finds it she calls her friend and when her friend answers she says .... "do you have a phone? Is your phone working?" I love my mom! I love how she can bring humor to any day!

No comments: