May 14, 2009

peddle, peddle, peddle

So, I got this gym membership in hopes to
a) become more physically fit.
B) I want to be able to say "come on Blaine, you can do it" just once during the amazing challenge, and
C) Because I am crazy!

Today I did not feel like going to the gym. Really and truly, the only reason I did was because I thought sitting in the hot tub after would be so nice on this crummy day. My goal ... go 20min on the bike, seeing as the race is next weekend and I still have yet to train on my bike, and I wanted to swim some laps.

So, as I sit on one of the bikes and got ready to go hard, I noticed a lady beside me who was getting a detailed instruction lesson on how to set herself up and how to use her bike. In my head I thought, Oh, he must be one of those personal trainers that you pay for. There I sat, soaking in every ounce of info that I could process without clearly eaves dropping. Then, he looks over at me and says, I will help you out in one minute. I was thinking, cool, free personal trainer. So, the guy adjusts my bike and gives me some pointers.

Then before I have a minute to respond, he takes a seat on the bike in front of the half circle and says ... "K, class, lets begin." What? Begin what? I think. Then I lean over and ask the lady next to me if this a class of some sort. Duh! Dumb question. She looks over at me with a huge smile and states so matter of factually, "This is the stationary bike class that goes for an hour." An hour??? Am I insane? I begin to freak out on the inside as I smile and comprehend what she is saying on the outside. Needless to say, 10 minutes in my butt was KILLING ME! 15 min in and I was thinking ... I am not a quitter! I can not quit! Oh I have to quit! Then he announces that yet again we will be going faster and "uphill." By now my butt is not numb like I anticipated, I am the only one not able to keep up like the rest of the group, and I am literally sweating droplets of sweat on the ground. Talk about most embarrassing moment.

I did manage to hang on for 45min. I think the part that broke the camels back was him announcing "only 10 more minutes" after I just reassured myself I only had five minutes to go. I did quit, not for the fact that I couldn't keep up, just for the fact that my butt was sooooooo sore.

As we speak I am getting achier by the minute. To top it all off, I didn't go for a swim and I didn't even get to go in the hot tub. Call it out of shape, call it stupid, I call it embarrassing and painful. Lesson learned.

By the way, Greys finale was so good and so sad. If I haven't told you lately, I love you and I am thankful for each and every one of you. Now I am off to my make makeshift hot tub, sore and sad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain I did yoga for the first time yesterday! I am sore in places I didn't know I even had!