Not every eight year old is as brave as our Ginny. Months ago we sat in the lab as she had 3 viles of blood taken from her tiny little veins. She didn't shudder, she didn't even cry. She just kept telling me over and over again how brave she was.
Yesterday that same brave girl sat while the doctor drew tiny little blue dots all down her arms and proceeded to prick each one of them. It obviously helped that this same test was a repeat of two years ago. Back then it was for airborne allergies. This time they included food allergies.
As we waited the 15 min. I watched in anticipation to see which ones would raise.
5 min, nothing. 10 min, nothing. The more minutes that went by the more anxious I got. There has to be some explanation for the racing heart, the paleness, the chills and the nauseous stomach. The last episode was New Years day and it was the worst one we have had yet. Anticipating, or maybe even fearing this test Ginny prayed each night for the last week "Dear Jesus, Please make me not allergic to anything."
The last allergy test already showed she had an allergy to Dandelions and Trees. My little girl was in for a disappointment. Finally the doctor came in and took score. He proceeded to grab his clipboard and tick, and tick, and tick. The more he ticked the more frustrated I got. I knew what was going on. NOTHING! Ginny was allergic to nothing.
He thinks I am nuts I thought. This can't be. What on earth is going on then? As I was getting more and more angrier there she sat. Smiling from ear to ear, her little eyebrows raised with bafflement.
Quietly we packed everything up and walked back to the truck. I called my mom and vented and shared my concern for the non resolved issue as to what was going on. There was my Ginny, quietly smiling, watching out the window as we drove back home.
Then it hit me. She prayed for this. She prayed for no allergies. For the last week while I was praying for an allergy answer she diligently asked God to not only make her not allergic to food but to take the allergies she had away. She didn't plead and beg and stomp her little foot, she just asked. God heard her and showed her his realness. He showed her that he is here with her. He made her not allergic to anything. He ANSWERED her Prayer. That night at the dinner table she begged and wiggled and could not wait for everyone to sit down to pray. "Go ahead, pray Ginny, they will come when they are ready" I told her. No sooner was I finished my sentence, that she started her prayer.
"Thank you Jesus that I wasn't allergic to anything. Even Trees and Dandelions. Thank you!
So while my prayer was unanswered, Ginny's prayers were focused on something far bigger and better than my own .... and they were answered.
2 comments:
You know, I'm totally shocked at what it means to have the faith of a little child.
We were talking about Jesus as Healer at the New Workers Orientation and it got me thinking... we pray "if it's Your will" or "come up with a good solution". Why do we have such a hard time to ask God and expect Him to heal? He doesn't always do it in the way we expect, but God hears our prayers. So what do we do with that? I'm really starting to think that God listens to the littlest of faith... but what does that say about us who pray and pray but never expect it?
I guess I'm starting to really think that God is bigger than I originally thought.
YUP! I agree
Post a Comment