Jun 4, 2015

Heaven is my home

Yesterday was my last day of my mentorship.  This is both exciting and scary. :)  They have full confidence that I will do fine ... Now its my turn to believe them.  Yesterday was a good mix of everything so I am grateful to get a taste of it all.

A big part of my job is keeping everything confidential so for the sake of privacy I will call my patient Journey.  what I am about to share will not have details but it touched my heart deeply.

Our call was to a hospital to transfer Journey home to palliative care.  As we entered the room I noticed that Journey had a family member there and their was a bible at the foot of the bed.  Journey was very soft spoken and weak.  It was clear that Journey lived a long life, and I wonder now what difficulties they may have had to endure or watch in the course of their lifetime.

Our job of course was to provide as much comfort as we could.  Journey immediately held onto my hand with a surprisingly strong grip and didn't want to let go.  Our transfer was quiet and little words were exchanged.  When we arrived and got Journey settled, the grip once again returned.  "I am going home Journey said."  I heard the words clear as day but for some reason I needed to hear them again to be sure.  "You are home" I said.  "No, I am going HOME!"  Journey exclaimed.  It was then that Journey pointed up to heaven.  "I am going home ... to heaven." Journey announced.  I smiled.  I knew then that my intuitions were correct.  Journey was a believer and knew that there was a better place to be after this.

Now, the unspoken/spoken rule of the normal workplace is that you are not allowed to share your faith with fellow employees, customers etc.  They have every right to complain about you and your job could potentially be on the line.  In this situation I felt it was fair to say something since it was the patient who brought it up and we obviously we share the same faith.

I leaned close to Journey's ear and whispered "Jesus Loves You!"  Journey broke out into a huge smile, and with a nod of the head said ... "Jesus Loves You too my dear."  The dams of water immediately began to fill and I was on a mission to hold them back. :) I assured Journey that I would pray for comfort throughout the wait.  I told Journey that my mom and dad were in heaven and with an even larger smile Journey said "Oh my dear ... My mom and dad are in heaven as well."  I told Journey that "I bet knowing you get to see your parents again after all this time is the best thing ever." Journey smiled again and with a slow nod of the head agreed. "it sure is!!!" said Journey.

Our little conversation only took minutes but as I look back today, it feels like hours.  I wish that I could have stayed and learned the story behind Journey's life.  I will have no idea of how long Journey will remain in that bed but I have great confidence that a very special journey to heaven has begun.

    

No comments: