Jun 5, 2015

16 years

16 years ago today you came into this world standing tall!  No really! 16 years ago at this exact time I was laying in a hospital bed, beginning the first stages of labour.  My water had broken at home, noting our cue to head to the hospital.  To our surprise and horror, the doctor soon realized that you were not about to follow the rules of being born and you decided that you were going to come out feet first instead of head first.  This makes me laugh right now because with your personality it doesn't surprise me.  There is no way you would dive into anything head first.  You have been a cautious boy since the day you were born.  It was such a struggle dealing with your fears and your worries as you were younger.  Sometimes it still is, but those fears and worries have made you think things over carefully and they have given you strength in the decisions that you make.  You are very strong willed young man.  When you want something you go for it.  You have a tender heart and you like to hold emotions in so no one can see how much you really are hurting.  It took me 14 years to really see that.  The day your Opa moved to heaven was the hardest time for you and it broke my heart to see you weep as hard as you did.  I want to you to always remember ... It's ok to cry.  It's ok to show that you are hurt.  Never let go of your tender heart, it's what gives you compassion.

When you were only 15 months old you quickly became interested in insects.  It came to point that you were always out searching for insects.  Soon ants became your passion.  To this day, I have no idea how these ants will come to play in your future but for 15 years we have watched you develop an understanding and research these creatures so much that you are actually able to breed them.  This to me is crazy.  Your sense of adventure is lacking but your wisdom to research everything is crazy.  Keep searching, gaining knowledge is what will help you get by in your life as an adult. 

I am proud of you for standing tall in what you believe.  I am proud of you for not touching alcohol, or cigarettes.  I am proud of you for following our rules about dating.   You are an amazing young man.

Keegan, let me share something with you.  16 years ago we stood in front of the church and dedicated  you to the Lord.  We promised God that we would raise you in a home where Gods name would be spoken regularly, a home where we would go to church as a family and feed you spiritually.  We pray that we have done our part well enough that you will have the foundation that you need to move on into adult hood.  You are going to fail.   There will come a point in your life where you will make a bad choice, or do something terribly wrong.  Remember in that time.  GOD WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU!! WE will ALWAYS love you! Remember to ask for forgiveness for your mistakes.  Remember to keep God close to your side.  The world may crumble around you.  Your friends may leave you, and your family may not understand you but God created you the way you were meant to be.  He has a purpose for you, and he will NEVER leave you.

On the very day that you were dedicated, our pastor wrote you a letter that was to be opened on your 16th birthday.  I kept that letter safe for 16 years.  I never opened it once.  To sit with you this morning and open that letter and read the words that were carefully thought out for you brings tears to my eyes.  I can't imagine what the world might be like for your child.  I can't imagine the things that your child might have to endure or see.  I pray that you will be a good father like your father has been to you.  I pray that you will be the spiritual leader in your family.  I pray that God will be the foundation of your life.  

Hang on tight my boy!! We have many more birthdays to go.

Love, Mom 






No comments: