Six years ago ... My first born turned 9 years old and I was taking the biggest leap of my life. My baby wasn't even in Kindergarten and I was no longer going to be his daily playmate. My life as a stay at home mom was ending and for the first time in my life I was embarking on an actual CAREER! Back then ... My world was small. I was excited with serving as a church secretary, being the go to person, the voice on the other end of the phone. I had no experience at all, yet by the grace of God I was given an opportunity. Overnight I became a book keeper, and a secretary, and I loved it!
Fast forward to six years later and as I reflect back to what I have accomplished, what I have achieved, and what I have become, I can't help but smile. Had someone told me then that in two years I would be jumping into a farm truck and driving to Lesser Slave Lake to serve others and stay in a hotel by myself I would have shook my head and said "Heck No!" The day I volunteered to help Samaritans Purse I was filled with uncertainty and fear but the people I met, the time I spent and the things I did made me love it! If you had told me that eventually I would stand by my husbands side on a volunteer fire department (running into a house fire instead of going out) I would have laughed at you. I will always remember the thrill I got when that pager went off. The house so hot that the coffee on the table was bubbling, and holding the hand of a man that was seriously broken in pieces. The good and the bad ... I loved it. If someone would have told me that in just 4 short years I would be saying goodbye to my mom, and then my dad ... I would have pulled the covers over my head and refused to let another day go by. Yet, by grace again, I made it through. I cherished the moments I spent with both of them as I cared for them, curled up in the hospital bed watching tv with them, or reading to them. Those were tough moments but I loved them. Now, had you, or anyone I know told me all of this, and then told me that I would become an EMR and work for the city of Edmonton. I would have asked an E - M what?
Like I said, my world was small. It didn't include logistic rooms, fire trucks, hoses, and blood. To me those things were impossible. Fortunately my plans are not up to me. Of course I could stay as an admin assistant until I retire. Being safe, working at a desk, within driving distance to my kids when they need me, being home each week night to have supper with my family. If I did though ... I wouldn't love it. The day I chose to follow God is the day I chose to follow his plan for my life. Its not easy and its not like I have a crystal ball, knowing which path to take and when to just sit idle. Its the people that have been put in my life, the ones that show me grace when I fail, the ones that listen when I struggle, the ones that hold me dear to their heart, lifting me up when I am weak. Its the people that I have worked with along that way that have inspired me, taught me, helped me, and encouraged me. Its the events that happen ... All this is a plan, my plan that I have no clue about, but that I trust I am not alone in.
So, as I take the pictures off my wall, as I strip the name plate off my door, and as I close the door to everything familiar and what once was ... I step into a new world ... A much larger one, with new beginnings, new fears, new unknowns. I am scared! I will fail! I will succeed! I am excited, and I LOVE IT!!!
I believe we get more than just one thing to love, and one day something will click and you will know you found it. I have to believe that.

No comments:
Post a Comment