Mar 7, 2007

Strike to home school



So here is the deal! I was very upset to hear the the teachers were going on strike. When I am angry I usually have a hard time not blowing up and saying things I regret later. This time was different. I had been thinking about home schooling the kids for some time but Blaine didn't want to make any rash decisions. We just thought that we would wait things out and see how they go.

So far we are on day 14 of the strike. That is one day shy of 3 weeks of no school. To make matters worse the teachers have been offered a 9.75% increase. Why would 95% of them refuse this offer you ask? The answer - The teachers are also fighting for less time in front of the kids. I then realized that this is not just about the present state of our children's education but the future as well. I proceeded to write a letter into the reporter and was surprised to see that it was published.

My letter was not like the others. A lot of the others were supporting the teachers. I was definitely not supporting the teachers. They actually want and I quote " to limit their time to at most 24 hours per week, which equates to 4.8 hrs. per day." For example, to accommodate the curriculum with the amount of hrs they are asking they would have to hire 2 teachers for every class room.

When the students are striking to go back to school you know there is a problem. There is nothing I can say that expresses how I feel right now. I think our minds were made up about home schooling the moment they went on strike. Unfortunately just because we have decided to home school we can not wash our hands with the situation. Our sweet Ginny loves her school and loves kindergarden. As to when her kindergarden will be back and rolling only time will tell. Until then I can't even register Keegan with a distant eduction board because I first have to be released from the public system who is ever so nicely on STRIKE. Can you hear my frustration?

No comments: