Blaine has finished his main course and a few extra's are already under his belt. It is official to say that he is now a certified volunteer Firefighter. :) Tuesday night he was assigned to a crew/squad ( I am unsure of the correct terminology) assigned a pager, handed a fancy certificate and now the life as a volunteer Firefighter has begun.
At first I was under the assumption that the pager was only used when he was on call, which wouldn't happen until late April. Apparently till he gets the idea and has experience of it all, he is asked to keep his pager on at all times and respond if he can. Saturday we have a birthday party to attend in the city and low and behold ... Blaine is on call. This means that Blaine is required to stay in town for that period of time. So, off to the party I go alone. :(
For a brief moment I thought of the training life as an EPS (Police) wife. How I attended lots of things by myself or by myself with the kids. That life can get hard and lonely at times. I see him differently this time though. Blaine is himself, even in training. NO stress, laughing, excited to take the kids and show them the firehall and the trucks.
I was surprised when he turned the pager off last night and said "tonight I am sleeping, regardless of what goes on."
This should be different this time around ... I hope things will be different ... I pray things will be different. :)
This is quite the journey we have been down and although there have been some ups and downs I am still enjoying it.
No comments:
Post a Comment