Jan 14, 2012

Bitten by the bug!

I got an email the other day from my fire captain, welcoming me to crew 3. In his email he jokingly cautioned us about getting bitten by the fire bug. I had such mixed emotions about joining, wondering if it was really something I was supposed to do or if it was just me behind the wheel. I hate doing my own thing and learning my lesson later down the road. I feel content with the decision I have made though and one thing i know, it is very clear! I have been bitten. I LOVE IT! More than I ever thought I would. As soon as that pager goes off my heart kicks into rev mode and I am off, grabbing Keys and racing out the door. By the time I dawn my gear and get into the assigned truck I finally have a few minutes to swallow hard, take a few breaths and pray that God prepares me for what I am about to get into. So far, it has been very minor. Directing traffic, assisting mutual aid, cleaning up after an accident and a couple of cancelled calls. It seems like forever since I have felt so alive. Once again I have a reason to work out and to eat well. I love to be needed in such a great way. Since we moved from our little community in spruce grove I have missed the connection that I had with so many friends. I have shed many tears to God, feeling unable to build new connections. With a full time job I no longer fit in with the 'stay at home mom' group. I had lost a big part of my life. The best part about this group is that we all have full time jobs and most of us have spouses and kids waiting at home cheering us on. Once again I found my groove. Best of all I am building a great friendship again. Something that I have deeply missed since our move. So for once in my life I am glad to have gotten bit by the bug.

No comments: