Jan 1, 2012

Happy New Year ~ 2012



In a blink of an eye we are done with our year and onto a new one...well not really a blink but close enough. I watched our 'annual' home video the other day and it amazed me at all that we have accomplished, achieved, experienced, endured, suffered and sacrificed in 2011. I stare in shock at my reflection in the mirror as I notice grey hairs that have found there way to my head. I also laugh in understanding as I place a moment to each and every one of them.

Perhaps the onset of those moments were when Blaine announced that he wanted to give firefighting a try and succeeded in becoming a volunteer firefighter for our wonderful little community. If it wasn't that it was definitely when he decided to take the kayak down a hill in the dead of winter. Apparently it is called 'snow kayaking' you need to google it just so you can get a clear visual.

The most exciting part of our year was when we decided to surprise the kids with a trip to Disney. The best part of that trip was that Nana and Opa were able to come with us. It was the greatest surprise ever! We had the kids fooled all the way to the boarding area. Malakai was so surprised that he nearly cried. This was a great time for the 7 of us and we were so blessed to have been able to take that trip when we did. Little did we know that Dad's cancer had returned and that his strength and energy were far better off then than it it is now.

After a fire storm destroyed almost all of Slave Lake I took the opportunity to be involved in the disaster relief that was provided for the community and joined a team from the Samaritans Purse who helped out with the logistic team. Being a part of an emergency team in a high adrenaline situation such as that sparked an unknown interest for something much deeper.

Spring also brought a great surprise as or landlords were in need of selling the house that we lived in. While we knew the time would eventually come, it came much to fast and we were house searching yet again.  Ginny joined her first triathlon and we couldn't believe how well she did each event. It was so fun for her, and us.

Obviously each kid celebrated a birthday. Keegan turned 12 this year and since he is always so interested in guns, Blaine and I thought it would be neat to take him to a shooting range. He surprised us with his reaction when he refused to shoot one. We were proud of him for his decision.

Throughout the summer Blaine responded to more fire calls and we soon began to become acquainted with our 'new' family. The two of us joined a soft ball team with them and while neither of us were good at it, we enjoyed it. We kayaked down the river a fair bit and Blaine snuck off to do a fair bit of fishing.  At summers end we went on a well needed family camping trip with Blaine's parents, sister and nieces. It was the first time that we took our two weeks holiday all at once. We came back just in time to move into our new house, celebrate Ginny's 10th birthday and start the kids off in school all in a matter of ten days.

September brought us craziness again  as I couldn't help myself and I applied for the volunteer firefighters as well.   In November we celebrated Malakai's 8th birthday with close friends and a few family members.  After passing my interview, nine weeks of training and my final exams i officially became a firefighter. It sounds so crazy and I can honestly say I have gotten every mixed reaction you could think of but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of training.  In just two short days I will receive my pager and then we will see if I still feel the same way.  :)  

Since then we have been juggling boys brigade, shinning stars, piano lessons, youth group, and training. What a crazy, wonderful, sad, fun, adventurous year.  While I have not enjoyed feeling a year older we have enjoyed watching the kids change before our eyes. We have enjoyed serving our community and most of all we have enjoyed the many blessings that God has given us and the friends and family in which to share them with.

Colossians 4:6  Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Happy 2012!

1 comment:

Ingrid May said...

I am excited for your ministry in fire-fighting.