Yes I know, I spelt sense wrong. :) For some reason the kids in our family have a problem with the simple term "Common Sense." Almost every time I come home from work I know exactly where the kids have been. Granola bar wrappers here, half eaten apples there, boots left by the door, jackets flung on the floor. Then there is the obvious things like an un flushed toilet, or a bowl left on the table. Just the simple things in life that if they were taken care of they could make my day so much easier.
The other day I came up with the best idea. Like any kid our kids love the idea of money and being able to spend it on great things that they want. We haven't ever really done the allowance thing but somewhere in the back of my mind I boiled up this great idea and so far it is working wonders.
They are called Common Cents jars. Every Friday we divide $20.00 worth of quarters between three jars, one for each kid. Throughout the week they get daily reminders about Common Cents. After the first reminder if they don't fix the picture we take a quarter away and place it into our jar. After all, we have to have the common sense to take care of our kids and teach them simple life lessons. :)
Well, it has been almost a week now and boy is it working nicely. No more tantrums no more "I don't want to do the dishes." In fact it has turned into quite the fun game for some. All I have to do is say "Common Cents!!" and we will often hear back "Oh Yah! With a small giggle to follow." The best part is when they go around reminding each other.
One kid is learning common cents the hard way while the others are catching on quite quickly and I am happy to say that my house is still looking quite tidy.
No comments:
Post a Comment