Mar 27, 2009

Once upon a time!

Once upon a time we lived in a big yellow house, on a corner lot, with a huge deck and a big apple tree. Inside, the house had 4 bedrooms, a big basement and a wood burning stove. This big yellow house was also detailed with a two car garage, a play room with a hidden door and the best tasting tomatoes around.

Times began to be tough. We prayed for more money. God sent us someone to room with us so we could afford it but we soon had issues with that. I prayed for kids to watch and God gave me kids here and there but with my own three I was often overwhelmed.

I loved the wooded path that ran along the area. I loved the park right across the street, and I loved the kids play area inside of the house. WE HAD IT MADE. Times were tough though and we were unhappy, maybe even unsatisfied. Blaine didn't like his job and was stressed. We prayed for a better living situation and the idea of a new career was interesting. We opted for a move.

We prayed for something that we could afford. God gave us a small 3 bedroom mobile home in a park with a school, community hall, goose pond and a park of its own. We had an opportunity to help a troubled teen so we did. Adding another person, and upgrading to a bigger vehicle to fit this extra person was more that we anticipated. Blaine got the new job he had prayed for and life took yet another change. Times were again tough and way more stressful than even before. I prayed for kids to watch and yet again God provided. This time he gave me two great, easy, well disciplined kids. Blaine had huge eye openers about his new job and went back to his old job.

Now here we sit .... trying to catch up .... complaining about the house, about the unsafe area it is in, wishing for a bigger, better home. Dreaming about how we used to have it. Yet here I am ... reminded how of many times I prayed and God answered. "Ask and you shall receive." Unfortunately a lot of the times we are unaware of what the outcome will be when we get what we ask for. We just ask, not thinking it through. What we often don't see ...

God is all we need. Things start going so good that we get carried away in life and try to do everything on our own, when and where we want to. Our time with God becomes more superficial and less meaningful.

What I need to remember .... God gave us a lovely home with great friends just a block away. God gave me another place to walk were I can see him everywhere I look. God gave me endless jobs here and there where I can get a little extra income when needed, with out having to be gone from the kids. God gave the kids the best school where they are nurtured, and safe, and where Keegan doesn't have to worrry. God always provides and we are just too blind to see him alongside us every single step of the way.

Forgive us lord .........

Our prayers were changed. We went from I want and I need, to Lord, what would you like us to do?

2 comments:

erin said...

that was beautiful tammy...

Anonymous said...

It's so true!! Thank-you for reminding me not to take things for granted even when times are tough and things aren't going exactly as we planned!!